Skip to main content

serving in Gladness

Gladden the soul of your servant,
for to you, O Lord, do I lift up my soul.
For you, O Lord, are good and forgiving,
abounding in steadfast love to all who
call upon you.

Psalm 86:4-5 (ESV)

I don't get into the Psalms enough at all. If I would, I would find calls out from the heart like this one from King David. This is such a wonderful passage because to me I have been trying to understand the true motivation through life. Is it suppose to be somber, pious, joyous, glad, or all?

The key is that of course there is a time for every emotion, but I am talking about the motivation behind the emotion. Even more direct, what is my motivation to be a faithful believer in Christ and not a drugged out Law practicer?

I like what the verses above have to say. God has a steadfast love to those who call upon Him. And he gladdens the soul that belongs to Him. That I sift through passages like Galatians attempting to try and figure out how we are instructed to stay away from the Law and the curse that it brings upon those who try to follow it, yet only later in the same passage be given a list of things not to do, I am at a loss. But, it is the attitude that frees us. It is the gladdened soul that will serve. And it has been gladdened because we know of His amazing love, a love that forgives regardless of the terrible Law breaking we have done.

It is all a matter of our spirit walking with God's Spirit. That's it. So, my motivation should only be enjoying this gracious walk with God, staying in step not out of dodging the vices of life on my own effort, but instead having a gladdened soul every time I am reminded of God's steadfast love, a love that sacrificed His only Son for me. Wow, that should gladden any servants soul!

Comments