Skip to main content

the Confession

I just finished "Jesus for President." The whole book did something funny to me. Aside from the obvious political emphasis of the book, it was the alternative life that the authors presented that stung. They actually live the life they diagnose. Section four of the book was a stab in the heart. So, here is a confession to all, because I really have nothing else to say right now.

(all ESV)

"But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgement." Matthew 5:22
But I remain angry and lash out even at my parents.

"But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart." Matthew 5:28
But I look lustfully at woman.

"And when you fast..." Matthew 6:16a
But I do not fast to begin with.

"Judge not, that you be not judged." Matthew 7:1
But I judge.

"A dishonest man spreads strife, and a whisperer (gossip) separates close friends." Proverbs 16:28
But I have gossiped amongst the closest of friends.

"But I say to you, do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the cheek, turn to him the other also." Matthew 5:39
But I hit even harder back.

"But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you." Matthew 5:44
But I hardly Love my enemies, and I do not pray for those who persecute me because I do not think I stand out enough to even be persecuted in the first place.

"If your enemy is hungry, give him bread to eat, and if he is thirsty, give him water to drink, for you will heap burning coals on his head, and the LORD will reward you." Proverbs 25:21-22
But I have not fed my enemies. I think it would be difficult to give Osama Bin Laden a drink given the chance.

"Show hospitality to one another without grumbling." 1 Peter 4:9
But I have grumbled while washing feet.

"Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth..." Matthew 6:19a
But I own a lot of crap.

"And they were selling their possessions and belongings and distributing the proceeds to all, as any had need." Acts 2:45
But I have allowed fellow brothers and sisters in Christ to go home with needs unmet, while I have a pile of crap still.

"...for God loves a cheerful giver." 2 Corinthians 9:7b
But I do not give much, and when I do, it is grudgingly. And I still have the pile of crap.

"Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me." Matthew 25:40b
But I have walked by the thirsty, the hungry, the stranger, the naked, the sick, and the imprisoned giving them nothing.

"Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world." James 1:27
But I have a religion of memorizing verses and having debates and then talking some more about my religion, all the while getting stains on me from the world.

"And whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me." Matthew 10:38
But I carry a toothpick.

Comments